A Special court in Delhi today awarded seven-year jail term to two men after they pleaded guilty of criminally conspiring to raise funds and recruiting people for the terror outfit ISIS.
District judge Amar Nath convicted accused Azhar-ul- Islam from Jammu and Kashmir and Mohammed Farhan Shaikh from Maharashtra, following their U-turn more than a month after the court framed charges against them.
The accused had moved an application through their advocate saying they were remorseful of the acts alleged against them. They said, there was no prior criminal record against them and they want to join the mainstream and wanted to be productive for the society and wanted to rehabilitate themselves.
Their plea had said, the applicants are pleading guilty without any pressure, threat, coercion or undue influence. The court had last month framed charges against both the accused and 36-year-old Adnan Hassan for allegedly hatching a criminal conspiracy to raise funds for the ISIS and recruiting people for the terror outfit. The trial against Hassan is continuing separately before the same court.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had registered a case against the three accused on January 28 last year. They were arrested the next day on arrival here from Abu Dhabi.
The charge sheet filed by NIA had claimed that the accused persons, in connivance with other known and unknown associates, had hatched a criminal conspiracy to propagate the ideology, recruit persons, raise funds and facilitate the travel of those recruited to Syria to join the ISIS and further its activities.