The samples taken are being used to develop validated diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines etc. for COVID19 prevention, control and treatment
Additionally the samples are a valuable resource for research and development related activities
Delhi, Feb 6
A total of 17 COVID-19 Bio-repositories have been notified by Government of India on 23-05-2020. These are set up at laboratories of Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) and Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). The list of Bio-repositories is given below.
A total of 90,361 samples (Serum, Nasopharyngeal swab, Plasma, Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells etc.) have been archived so far across the 17 National COVID19 bio-repositories. 11,650 samples have been archived in ICMR COVID-19 bio-repositories, 41,239 samples have been archived in DBT COVID-19 bio-repositories and 37,472 samples have been archived in CSIR COVID-19 bio-repositories.
These samples are being used to develop validated diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines etc. for COVID19 prevention, control and treatment. Additionally the samples are a valuable resource for research and development related activities to understand the early predictors of disease severity, immunopathogenesis of the disease etc.
List of COVID-19 Bio-repositories notified by Government of India:
COVID-19 Bio-repositories at DBT institutes:
1. DBT-NCR Biotech Cluster- Translational Health Science and Technology Institute & Regional Centre for Biotechnology, Faridabad
2. DBT- Institute of Life Sciences, Bhubaneswar
3. DBT – Institute for Stem Cell Science and Regenerative Medicine, Bangalore
4. DBT funded Biorepository – Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi
5. DBT- National Centre for Cell Science, Pune
COVID-19 Bio-repositories at ICMR institutes:
6. ICMR- National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune
7. ICMR-NIV Field Unit, Bangalore
8. ICMR-NIV Field Unit, Allapuzha, Kerala
9. ICMR- National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases, Kolkata
10. ICMR- National Institute of Occupational Health, Ahmedabad
11. ICMR- National Institute for Implementation Research on Non-Communicable Diseases, Jodhpur
12. ICMR- National Institute of Malaria Research, Delhi
13. ICMR- National Institute of Epidemiology, Chennai
14. ICMR- National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Mumbai
COVID-19 Bio-repositories at CSIR institutes:
15. CSIR – Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, N. Delhi
16. CSIR – Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology, Hyderabad
17. CSIR – Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh
This information was given by the Minister of Science & Technology; Earth Science and Health & Family Welfare Dr. Harsh Vardhan in the Lok Sabha.